Pizza Info Session
Thursday, September 11, 2014
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Clough Commons Room 152
Download the flyer!
Enjoy pizza and sodas and meet past interns! Join us to express interest and to learn more about both the Georgia Tech D.C. Internship Program and the Georgia Legislative Internship Program. RSVP today to Olivia Watkins at email@example.com.
Please note the following dates and deadlines:
- Application deadline - Sept. 25 (spring program) or Oct. 20 (summer program)
- Interviews - Oct. 8 (spring program) or Oct. 23 (summer program)
- Mandatory workshop for selected participants - Oct. 27 and Dec. 1, 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Deadline to secure internship - Jan. 8 (spring program). Deadline for summer program TBA.
- Deadline to register internship with Georgia Tech Center for Career Discovery and Development - Jan. 19 (spring program). Deadline for summer program TBA.
Note: workshops are open to any Georgia Tech student interested in discovering and landing an internship with the Federal Government in Washington, D.C. RSVP today to Michael Laughter to attend the workshops, regardless of your acceptance to the program. Both workshops are mandatory for those selected for the Georgia Tech D.C. Internship Program. Workshops will be held on campus, building and room TBA.
Students will be required to find their own internship, with the assistance of the Center for Career Discovery and Development and the Office of Government and Community Relations. Internships must be with members of Congress, Congressional Committees, or executive branch offices.
During the course of the internship, students will work full-time in offices in and around Washington, DC for approximately 10 weeks during summer and 16 weeks during fall. To earn course credit, interns will also be required to complete weekly journals and must be available to outreach to other Georgia Tech students once they return to campus.
Should you be a DC Intern? Yes, if...
- you are Georgia Tech student who is curious about how the federal government really works how it impacts your life, even here in Georgia or anywhere in the world.
- you want to help shape the nation's future in politics, science, technology, business, law, media, education, medicine, or beyond.
- you would like to enhance your education by obtaining the experience and contacts for future job opportunities.
Are there other requirements? Yes:
- You must register with Center for Career Discovery and Development to receive audit credit for the internship (If you want to receive academic credit you must contact your department. Please note that there is a cost per credit hour associated with receiving academic credit).
- You must be at least a sophomore and in good disciplinary standing.
- Previous recipients of the Georgia Tech D.C. Internship are not eligible.
- You must have taken one of the following courses prior to applying for program: HIST 2111, 2112, POL 1101, INTA 1200, PUBP 3000 or its equivalent.
- You must be a returning student and enrolled in classes for the semester following your internship.
Selection is based on potential for leadership as indicated by grades, work experiences, extracurricular activities, interests, and maturity. You will be asked to furnish a transcript and resume, as well as two references from people who have taught you or worked with you.
How to Submit References and Application
Two references from people who have either taught you or worked with you are required. The deadline for references to submit reference forms is the same as application deadline. Reference forms must be mailed or e-mailed directly to Olivia Watkins (see contact information below).
Please submit one (1) official transcript (printed within this semester), and three (3) copies of each of the following: the completed application, your resume, and your essay to:
Office of Government and Community Relations
A. French Building, Suite 015
- Olivia Watkins
Manager, External Engagement
- Office of Government and Community Relations
Georgia Institute of Technology
601 13th Street, NW
Suite 300 North
Washington, DC 20005